W.R. Johnson Sr. came to the high deserts of southern New Mexico when it was still part of the untamed west. New Mexico had only been a state for six years, and Pancho Villa had raided and burned the nearby Columbus only two years earlier, but W.R. Johnson saw a valley with enormous beauty and potential - the Carzalia Valley.
Originally founded as a cattle operation, W.R. Johnson Jr. turned to farming the rich soil after the drought of the 1950's. The first irrigation well was drilled in 1953, allowing him to produce high-valued crops, such as onions. An extensive irrigation networksoon followed, and th eoutstanding climate, fertile soil, and family dedication combined to create lush fields of green where they had never before existed. Today, five generations later, the Johnson family continues to call the Carzalia Valley home, and takes pride in raising high-quality produce.